[SciPy-user] Version 0.3.2 or 0.4.3?

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:58:17 EST 2005

They are the same and yet different.  0.4.3 is "new scipy".  You will
find more on the list if you look for information about new scipy.
You will probably get a more detailed answer from some one else later,
but the biggest difference is that "old scipy" - i.e. <=0.3.2 depends
on Numeric and/or numarray for matrices and arrays.  Travis Oliphant
has redesigned the matrix/array API for "new scipy".  You can read
about why he did this in the first chapter of a book he has written
about new scipy.  The first two chapters can be downloaded for free
with a link on this page:
http://www.tramy.us/guidetoscipy.html

I don't have a good feel for how stable new scipy is and how many
people are using it for their everyday work.  I am actually using old
scipy still myself.

Ryan