[SciPy-user] python crashes on scipy testing

rainman rainman.rocks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 16:18:07 EDT 2005

Hello scipy-user,

God, that's one thing I hate about Open Source - having to hunt high
and low for binaries... or to face tremendous nightmares of
building-from-sources.

Let's see. I'm running WinXP on A-64. I have Python 2.4. Some time ago
I decided to try SciPy. Aw, hell! No prebuilt binaries for Py2.4.
And you need a ton of compilers to "make" sources.

But I'm stubborn. I had nerve. I took:

MSYS-1.0.10.exe
MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe
atlas3.6.0_WinNT_PIII.zip
SciPy_complete-0.3.2.tar.gz
Numeric-23.8.win32-py2.4.exe
F2PY-2-latest.win32.exe

, then I tuned environment vars and started "setup.py build".

Oh! how cute! they forgot to put wgnuplot.exe inside! Let's take it
from SciPy_complete-0.3.2.win32-py2.3-num23.5.exe. Trying once more...

Tada! Compilation finally finished without error message.
Let's run:

import scipy
scipy.test()

Yeah, a lot of "no test file" messages, dots, some cryptic mumbling
ending with "zswap:n=3", more dots, WHOOPS! python crashes.

So, the question is... WHAT ELSE???

--
Best regards,
 rainman                          mailto:rainman.rocks at gmail.com