[SciPy-user] New book on python and engineering

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 16 14:17:07 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 1:55 pm, Andrew Fant wrote:
> Howey, David A wrote:
> > This book may be of interest to the list:
> >
> > http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521852870
> >
> > "Numerical Methods in Engineering with Python
> > Jaan Kiusalaas
> > Pennsylvania State University"
> >
> > Looks pretty good, although why he ignores the object oriented nature of
> > python, I know not (read the excerpt)
>
> I just looked on Amazon, and the second hit for "numerical methods
> python" was this book:
>
> "Python Scripting for Computational Science (Texts in Computational
> Science and Engineering)"
> Hans P. Langtangen
>
> Given that the price is similar to the aforementioned Numerical Methods
> text, has anyone from the list had a chance to read both of these yet,
> or even just the later?  I'm trying to curb a nasty book-buying
> addiction, but I feel like I ought to get ONE of these.  Any reviews or
> opinions from someone who has actually seen them would be really helpful.

I have Python Scripting for Computational Science. I know it has been
discussed before, either on this list, the matplotlib-users list, or the
IPython list. It was more of an introduction to Python from a science and
engineering perspective. It was good, but not as a numerical methods
reference (though it did have a section on solving PDE's). It has one of the
nicest binding jobs on my bookshelf, so theres that.

Darren