[SciPy-user] mid-size outerproduct too big for memory

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 24 23:38:56 EDT 2005

Thomas Davidoff wrote:
> I tried to get the outerproduct(a,b) where a is a 23,297 by 15 matrix
> and b is a 15 element row vector.  This led to a memory error.  This is
> a pretty small dataset for empirical economics - is there a way around
> this?

23297*15*15*8./1024/1024 = 40

40 MB. My G4-1GB memory handles this fine. I'm not sure why you are
seeing a memory error. Could you post your code?

> Will I ever be able to do something like 1 million by 100 or is
> it back to Stata for me?

1000000*100*100*8/1024/1024/1024 == 74

74 GB. No, I don't think your machine will handle that outerproduct well.

> I don't think the issue is other stuff in the program because nothing
> should be eating a lot of memory.

How about other stuff running on the system?

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter