[SciPy-user] Performance Python with Weave article updated

Michael Sorich mike_lists at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 23 11:39:46 EDT 2004

My 2 cents worth.

I am a biologist who learnt python to facilitate my
research. I have found it so useful that I have not
been able to justify the time to learn more than a
smattering of C/C++. I find that NumPy is great for
most cases where plain python would be too slow, but
it is not suitable for all situations.  Writing the
occasional small extension using numeric arrays is a
real pain and doesn't seem to fit with the simplicity
of python in general.

One of the big reasons that I like weave is the
simplicity of the blitz arrays. The inline code
usually looks very similar to the python code I
prototype. This allows people like me (with very
limited experience in C/C++ or fortran) to quickly and
simply speed up nested loops involving manipulation of
arrays. My thanks to those who wrote Weave.

I think pyrex is a wonderful concept. However, most of
the code I want to speed up involves
lookup/manipulation of arrays (in ways that NumPy is
not suited to), which is still complicated in pyrex. I
think it would be great if one could index numeric
arrays in pyrex (or with any extension method) in the
same manner as one does in python.

Michael

 --- Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu>