[SciPy-user] installing Atlas on Fedora core 2, newbie

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Sep 13 16:34:17 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 01:02, J wrote:

> I am using a new installation of Fedora core 2, and it
> has Blas and Lapack installed.

These are from the blas-3.0 and lapack-3.0 RPMs which come with FC2.
They are incomplete and probably not optimized, and the only thing on
FC2 which should depend on them is octave.  I'd think you can safely
delete them (sudo rpm -e blas lapack).
> I do not know what value to use for the
> architecture name in the following line when
> installing atlas:
>
> Enter Architecture name (ARCH) [Linux_P4SSE2]:

The default is in brackets, and is what you get if you just hit Enter
here.  It will work.

> 2)  I did download the atlas binaries from the scipy
> site and could install them, leaving my current
> installations of Lapack and Blas intact.

Yes you could, and the steps  you listed are not needed.  Though it
perhaps isn't clear, just create a subdirectory /usr/local/lib/atlas and
unpack one of the precompiled ATLAS binaries into it.  SciPy should work
fine with this arrangement.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge