[SciPy-user] matplotlib slow, biggles problem as well

Steve Schmerler elcorto at gmx.net
Thu Sep 2 05:46:49 EDT 2004

> I'm asking here because the biggles mailing are never busy and I know
> some peopel here use biggles.
>
> I'm trying to get the latest biggles for Python 2.3 wto work on my
> Windows machine.  I downloaded the 3 requried *.dll's.  Where do I put
> them?  I tried c:\WINNT\system32, and I tried d:\python23\ and I tried
> d:\python23\DLLS but nothing works.  Please help anyone if you can, I'd
> like to get this working ASAP.

I put the .dll's in a directory where I know for sure that Python searches
for modules etc. So I was able to do

   import biggles

witout errors. But plotting something crashes the whole Python (i.e. the
interpreter programm). This works :) with PythonWin and IPython.

> By the way, my problem is that I was using matplotlib, but when trying
> to plot a 300 point array, it chokes up.  I could downsample it, but why
> should I have to?  Mathematica doesn't have problems plotting arrays
> like this.  matpoltlib doesn't crash necessarily, just goes exremely
> slow.  I was using plot(V,'ro').  Maybe I need to configure some
> options?  Or maybe it's just an inherent problem with tk or gtk or
> whatever.  Is there another plotting program I could try which would
> work for sure?

Matplotlib is _very_ slow on my WinXP box as well (tkagg backend).

If you love Matlab syntax you should try scipy.xplt which is very fast (but
crashes on my box _sometimes_ for no reason also killing the whole
interpreter (as does biggles above).

If you aren't addicted to Matlab syntax too much you should definitely try
gnuplot and the Gnuplot module (http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/). It is
almost as fast as if you were using gnuplot directly. Very nice.

> --
> David J. Grant
> http://www.davidgrant.ca:81

bye
steve

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.
--

Supergünstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl