[SciPy-user] g2c-pic

David Grant david at dwavesys.com
Thu Oct 28 13:42:10 EDT 2004

tom fogal wrote:

> <41812971.5070606 at dwavesys.com>David Grant writes:
><snip>
>

>>I've seen -fPIC used a lot...  Just looked at it's description on man
>>gcc and I'm thinking that this will work on my machine but perhaps not
>>on others?
>>

>well, yes and no...
>I ran into this issue when I started using an AMD64 machine -- every
>library must be compiled with -fPIC or strange things happen on AMD64.
>
>The manual page says it will "only work on some architectures" but I
>don't think you actually need to worry about this. I can't remember
>exactly anymore but I think "some" in this definition encompasses very
>esoteric setups you'll likely never see. I've been paying attention to
>things that got compiled with the flag on all machines I use for a
>while now, and its never been a problem on any combination of hardware
>/ free UNIX (inluding linux)  / compiler platform to date.
>
>I wouldn't think twice about it, unless you're on some ill-used
>architecture that few people have even heard of.
>
>Just my $.02...

Is there any way to tell if my g2c.a was actually compiled with -fPIC?
And that they didn't rename it to g2c-pic.a?  I'm using gentoo.

--
David J. Grant
Scientific Officer

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION

This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, is
confidential. The information is intended only for use by the recipient
named above. If you have received this electronic message in error,
please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of
information received in error is strictly prohibited.