[SciPy-user] RPM building trouble

Michael Reimpell M.Reimpell at tu-bs.de
Mon Oct 4 10:08:37 EDT 2004

There are some troubles building rpm packages:

With the scipy CVS (2004-10-03) version,
"python setup.py bdist_rpm --fix-python"
fails, because the file "scipy_base/_compiled_base.c" contains
two includes (e.g. _scipy_mapping.c), that do not handle the path correctly
(therefore _scipy_mapping.c is not found).

With the SciPy_complete-0.3.tar.gz version,
"python setup.py bdist_rpm --fix-python"
fails, because SciPy_complete-0.3/scipy_core/setup.py is missing.

Also, in order to build a rpm package from scipy CVS, the scipy_distutils rpm
has to be installed, but this package confilcts with the scipy rpm itself,
afterwards.

Also, recent versions of f2py fail completely building rpms with
"python setup.py bdits_rpm --fix-python", because of path problems in setup.py
(complains about missing 'src'-directory). This is a known issue at least
since F2PY-2.39.235_1693.

After installing scipy I stumbled across the following issues:

Following the plotting tutorial on
"http://www.scipy.org/documentation/plottutorial.html",
I had to use gui_thread.start(use_main=1) instead of gui_thread.start(). Also
plt.title('some text') fails with:
"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/plt/interface.py", line 144, in
title
    _active.title.text = name
AttributeError: 'instancemethod' object has no attribute 'text'".
In general plotting seems to be a bit unstable: sometimes no window appears at
first, but it works after restarting python and trying again.

I also had a problem with the linalg module:
linalg.norm(A,'fro') fails with
"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py", line 273, in
norm
    val = real((conjugate(x)*x).flat)
NameError: global name 'real' is not defined",
but linalg.norm(A,2) works without problems.

Kind regards,
Michael