[SciPy-user] Enthon for the Mac

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 23 23:16:58 EST 2004

John Hunter wrote:

>     Fernando> That's probably a wise choice, actually.  Forcing users
>     Fernando> of the patented stuff to jump through an extra hoop will
>     Fernando> help prevent accidental misuse of those algorithms.
>
> I'm more interested in giving a potential user of my software a
> convenient install than I am in saving a potential developer from
> inadvertently writing some commercial software that requires a
> license.  My guess is that 99% of the people who will use enthon/OSX
> satisfy the constraint of not using the patented classes in a
> commercial app, so my preference would be to include it with a
> disclaimer.

The patent license isn't just needed for implementing marching cubes in
a program that you sell. It's also needed for applying the algorithm for
commercial purposes. If I use VTK(+Patented) to make pretty pictures in
the course of my job, I need to pay for a patent license. Research in an
academic or governmental context may or may not be considered
commercial. In the absence of a clear license for non-commercial and
research use, I'm not tempted to guess their intentions.

My guess is that most people who will be using MacEnthon do not in fact
qualify as non-commercial users but think they do. Not packaging the
patented algorithms removes an attractive nuisance and assuages my
conscience.

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Patent_Bazaar

--
Robert Kern