[SciPy-user] Help! More instances of "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'eig'"

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Nov 4 07:43:43 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, zzzzt tzzzz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install SciPy.0.3.x on a beowulf cluster frontend running
> Redhat 7.x (I don't know the exact version). I install everything in a
> separate top dir, using a prebuilt ATLAS package for Linux.AthlonSSE1 and

Could you try building scipy against ATLAS libraries from

   http://www.scipy.org/download/atlasbinaries/linux/

? See the relevant section in

   http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt

> the gnu f77 compiler. Installing python 2.3.4, Numeric 23-6 and f2py2e
> goes smoothly; all tests run ok. Installing SciPy runs fine, with few serious
> error messages. However, when I import scipy in python (which is also not
> a problem) and try to run the tests, 15 tests fail with the error message
>
> "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'eig'"
>
> A web search led me to andrewl's message (link:
> http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-user/2004-October/003486.html
> ). Running
>
>> python setup.py clean --all; rm -rf build/

You don't need to run `clean --all`. `rm -rf build` is sufficient.

> does nothing for me however (not even when I run it, or any combination
> of it, for each separate package after each reinstall). The clean script
> seems to run fine, but for the error message
>
>> 'build/bdist.linux-i686' does not exist -- can't clean it
>> 'build/scripts-2.3' does not exist -- can't clean it
>
> I have no idea whether this is relevant or not. Has anyone else had this
> problem? What log outputs should I submit to help solve the problem? As
> I am entirely new to the world of python, I would be very grateful for
> literal and simplified replies.
>
> Sincerely, Erik McNellis

What is the output of

   python system_info.py

when you run it inside scipy_distutils directory?

Pearu