[SciPy-user] Schur complement

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Wed May 26 11:14:22 EDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Nils Wagner wrote:

> > In short, use
> >
> > def func(x):
> >    return abs(schur(T(x[0])))
                           ^^^

> I have modified my program.
>
> def func2(x):
>   return abs(schur(T(x)))
>
> r6 = optimize.fsolve(func2,x0)
>
> Now I get
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> ValueError: array too large for destination

Compare my suggestion with your version of func2 (notice ^^^).

> The requirement, i.e. func is real is not mentioned in help
> (optimize.fsolve). Am I missing something ?

Notice that it also does not mention that func can be complex valued.
Anyways, fsolve assumes real-valued functions - `.`. But it is also simple
to use fsolve for complex-valued functions: make sure that func returns real
and imaginary parts of a function value, also an initial value to
fsolve should be specified as a pair of real and imaginary parts of the
value.

Pearu