[SciPy-user] Problem when building scipy 0.3 for alpha OSF1

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Wed May 19 16:04:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, David M. Cooke wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:17:08AM -0500, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> > > I have a problem when I build  scipy on my alpha (unix : OSF1):
> > >
> > > After the compilation of python 2.2.3, the installation of Numeric 22.0
> > > and F2PY-2.39.235, i install the binary of atlas 3.4.1 (for OSF1 of
> > > course). When  i run python setup.py build, there is a lot a compilation
> > > but after a moment it's stop :
> > >
> > > I have this error  message :
> > >
> > > g++ -shared -expect_unresolved * build/temp.osf1-V5.1-alpha-2.2/vq_wrap.o
> >                                 ^^^
> > This 'star' is causing all the trouble: all files in the current directory
> > (.txt files etc) are passed to g++. Could you find out where this
> > 'star' comes from? Can you build other extension modules than of scipy?
>
> I've had similiar problems compiling on Tru64. The -expect_unresolved
> "*" (note the quotes) comes from Python's Makefile -- that option is
> needed for the linker to work properly. The quotes are getting stripped
> off somewhere.

Thanks for the hint. The quotes get stripped off in
distutils.util.split_quoted function. I have implemented a workaround to
this issue in scipy_distutils. Now the quotes are preserved when a quoted
word does not contain any white-space.

So, update scipy from cvs and try again. Let us know if the patch works.

HTH,
Pearu