[SciPy-user] Re: xplt documentation

Nadav Horesh nadavh at visionsense.com
Thu May 6 06:34:09 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From:	Arnd Baecker [mailto:arnd.baecker at web.de]
Sent:	Tue 04-May-04 14:49
To:	Nadav Horesh
Cc:	scipy-user at scipy.net
Subject:	Re: [SciPy-user] Re: xplt documentation
Hi,

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Nadav Horesh wrote:

>> I've made some testing (not exhaustive) of matplotlib under IDLE and
>> pycrust on win32 and linux platforms. matplotlib seems to be more
>> tolerant then xplt,

> Can you be a bit more explicit, i.e. give examples ?
I just succeeded to interact with the plot window (zoom for instance), while in xplt I had to call pyg_pending() in order to render the mouse commands.

>> especially when show() is called instead of
>> using the interactive mode.

>Personally I think that this is one of the big strengths
>of scipy.xplt. For example, when debugging
>I use a lot
>  from IPython.Shell import IPythonShellEmbed
>  ipshell = IPythonShellEmbed()
>
>  ipshell()
>
>The ipshell() can come at any point of your code
>and all variables are available.
>So a quick
>  plg(some_array)
>or
>  pli(some_2d_array)
>often allows to find bugs much more quickly
>than anything else.

I will try that.

>> The linux environment seems to work a
>> bit better then the win32.
>>
>> There is a project (not very active nowadays) called glplot
>> (glplot.sf.net) which fills a shortcoming of gnuplot of
>> generating false colour map of large matrices (gnuplot is too slow here).

>There is a patch on sourceforge for gnuplot which allows
>for bitmap images (ie. matrices). I once tried it out and it is very nice.
>It might take a little time until this gets integrated
>as the gnuplot team seems to be a bit busy with
>after release issues.

Can you explain more about this patch --- how to access, compile and use it?
I am familiar only with the "set pm3d map" option, wich is very nice, but sill too slow for large matrices.

>If you really want to go for large matrices have a look
>at MayaVi,
>  http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/
>In particular
>  http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/docs/guide/x967.html#TOOLS

I am using MayaVI for some time, it is reall an excellent tool. The direct call from python looked cumbersome. I'll try to write a script to automate some steps, what could make it more handy.

Another excellent tool for viewing 2-4D array is flounder:
http://www.enel.ucalgary.ca/~vigmond/flounder/

>Best,
>
>Arnd

 Thank you,