[SciPy-user] Re: xplt documentation

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Tue May 4 08:49:33 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Nadav Horesh wrote:

> I've made some testing (not exhaustive) of matplotlib under IDLE and
> pycrust on win32 and linux platforms. matplotlib seems to be more
> tolerant then xplt,

Can you be a bit more explicit, i.e. give examples ?

> especially when show() is called instead of
> using the interactive mode.

Personally I think that this is one of the big strengths
of scipy.xplt. For example, when debugging
I use a lot
  from IPython.Shell import IPythonShellEmbed
  ipshell = IPythonShellEmbed()

  ipshell()

The ipshell() can come at any point of your code
and all variables are available.
So a quick
  plg(some_array)
or
  pli(some_2d_array)
often allows to find bugs much more quickly
than anything else.

> The linux environment seems to work a
> bit better then the win32.
>
> There is a project (not very active nowadays) called glplot
> (glplot.sf.net) which fills a shortcoming of gnuplot of
> generating false colour map of large matrices (gnuplot is too slow here).

There is a patch on sourceforge for gnuplot which allows
for bitmap images (ie. matrices). I once tried it out and it is very nice.
It might take a little time until this gets integrated
as the gnuplot team seems to be a bit busy with
after release issues.

If you really want to go for large matrices have a look
at MayaVi,
  http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/
In particular
  http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/docs/guide/x967.html#TOOLS