[SciPy-user] Problems building SciPy-0.3 on OS X

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Aug 10 14:22:14 EDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Tom Loredo wrote:

> I'm trying to build SciPy-0.3 on a G4 (and on a G3 laptop) running 10.2.8
> and MacPy 2.3.3, but with no luck---the build halts with a segfault.  I've
> followed Chris's instructions on the scipy web site, with the exception of
> not installing Gnuplot & AquaTerm. The one possible complication is that I
> have some fink stuff installed (not python, though), including f77, but
> I've renamed it f77-fink, and verified that there is no f77 in my path
> (the g77 install doesn't install one, so I was worried scipy or f2py might
> find Fink's f77 rather than using g77).
>
> On every first install attempt, I get an error compiling _configtest.c,
> from code in the included file fputest.c.  If I merely restart the build
> after the error, the build proceeds through this part successfully, but
> perhaps this is an important symptom.  Here's the output from the first
> build attempt:
>
> 	compiling '_configtest.c':

<snip>

> 	  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/posixpath.py", line 77, in split
> 		i = p.rfind('/') + 1
> 	AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rfind'
>
> As I said, merely running "python setup.py build" again continues the build without
> complaint, starting:
>
> 	fftw_info:
> 	  FOUND:
> 		libraries = ['rfftw', 'fftw']
> 		library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib']
> 		define_macros = [('SCIPY_FFTW_H', None)]
> 		include_dirs = ['/usr/local/include']
>
> etc..  But it eventually halts with a segfault working on cblas:
>
> 	f2py: build/src/cblas.pyf
> 	Reading fortran codes...
> 			Reading file 'build/src/cblas.pyf'
> 	Post-processing...
> 			Block: cblas
> 							Block: empty_module
> 	Building modules...
> 			Building module "cblas"...
> 					Constructing wrapper function "empty_module"...
> 					  empty_module()
> 			Wrote C/API module "cblas" to file "build/src/build/src/cblasmodule.c"
> 	  adding 'build/src/fortranobject.c' to sources.
> 	  adding 'build/src' to include_dirs.
> 	building extension "scipy.linalg.flapack" sources
> 	generating flapack interface
> 	Segmentation fault
>
> Any help anyone can offer on how to diagnose this would be appreciated.

Hmm, the segfault appears while executing pure Python code.
I would disable building xplt for now. To do that, add 'xplt' to the
ignore_packages list at the end of setup.py file. And then try 'python
setup.py build' again. Also, I'd suggest using CVS version of scipy and
scipy_distutils when experiencing such build problems.

HTH,
Pearu