[SciPy-user] scipy choice of defaults for matrix manipulation

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Aug 5 00:37:31 EDT 2004

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004, Robert Kern apparently wrote:
> Implementation feature; documentation bug. Numeric's functions have
> various, inconsistent ("schizophrenic" as you say) choices for the
> default axis. An attempt, albeit incomplete as you note, was made with
> SciPy to standardize on always using axis=-1. I'm fairly positive this
> was documented somewhere at some point, but probably only on the old
> website. The tutorial really should be updated to prominently note this
> convention.

Looking at briefly at Numeric and numarray, it seems they
have made an effort to standardize on axis=0.  This is also
true in the Matlab module.  Wouldn't it be wise for SciPy
to join the parade?  (I.e., shouldn't these closely related
and interdependent packages share a convention?
Otherwise, this is going to be VERY confusing for users.
(As it was for me.)  Now when I call a such a function,
I have to remember: is it a SciPy function, or a
Numeric/numarray function?  Not a good situation, right?

Thanks,
Alan