[SciPy-user] IPython completion

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 9 12:59:03 EDT 2003

Jeffery D. Collins wrote:

> I should reiterate that there is no problem with using <tab> to complete
> names within the python namespace.  It's just the completion of file/dir
> names that does not work.

Ah!  Either you didn't say that at first or I just misread it :)  And when I
tested things here, I just tested variable completion.  Now I DO see the same
problem as you.  It means that something did change in the bowels of readline
which is mucking up filename completion.

That code is rather messy, and I'm leaving for Scipy'03 tomorrow, so I won't
be able to look at this for a while (on vacation away from computers after the
conference).  But I'll keep it recorded and will look into it when I return.

At this point, it may be a readline bug, or just a change in readline behavior
I'll have to defend around for python 2.3.  It kind of annoys me to see this,
because the only mention of changes to readline in the 'what's new for 2.3'
document seem to be:

"The readline module also gained a number of new functions:
get_history_item(), get_current_history_length(), and redisplay()."

But maybe something else did happen and I just missed reading the docs in
detail enough.

Cheers,

f.