[SciPy-user] Failure during testing

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Mon May 26 08:53:59 EDT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Andrew Nesbit wrote:

> > Btw, could you update also your local scipy cvs tree? I have
> > commited a patch for ppimport that should display more information
> > on the failure that you reported earlier.
>
> Is this the failure that you are refering to (copied from previous
> post):

yes

> > FAIL: check_complex (test_array_import.test_read_array)
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/local/apps/SciPy-CVS/lib/python/scipy/io/tests/test_array_import.py", line 39, in check_complex
> >     a = rand(13,4) + 1j*rand(13,4)
> >   File "/usr/local/apps/SciPy-CVS/lib/python/scipy/common.py", line
> >   222, in rand
> >     return stats.random(args)
> >   File
> >   "/usr/local/apps/SciPy-CVS/lib/python/scipy_base/ppimport.py",
> >   line 211, in __getattr__
> >     module = self._ppimport_importer()
> >   File
> >   "/usr/local/apps/SciPy-CVS/lib/python/scipy_base/ppimport.py",
> >   line 183, in _ppimport_importer
> >     assert module is self,`(module, self)`
> > AssertionError: (<module 'scipy.stats' from '/usr/local/lib/python/scipy/stats/__init__.pyc'>, <module 'scipy.stats' from '/usr/local/lib/python/scipy/stats/__init__.py' [import error]>)
>
> Now that I have upgraded Python to 2.3b1 and updated from CVS that
> failure no longer occurs.

Good, so the failure was due to the Mac related bug in Python 2.2.

> Instead, I have the failures and errors available at
> http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~alnesbit/log-scipy-test (the same as referred
> to in my previous post).

It's not too bad:)

With Python 2.3b1+ (from yesterdays Python CVS) I also get
KeyError's like

ERROR: check_chebyc (test_basic.test_chebyc)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/usr/local/apps/SciPy-CVS/lib/python/scipy/special/tests/test_basic.py",
line 214, in check_chebyc
    chebc = chebyc(1)(.2)
  File "/usr/local/apps/SciPy-CVS/lib/python/scipy/special/orthogonal.py",
line 398, in chebyc
    p = p * 2.0/p(2)
  File "/usr/local/apps/SciPy-CVS/lib/python/scipy_base/polynomial.py",
line 445, in __getattr__
    raise KeyError
KeyError

I'll see if it can be fixed for Py2.3...

But as for other failures like numerous AssertionErrors in testing
scipy_base and stats, I don't get them under Linux.

Could you investigate the errors in scipy_base testing?
You can do that separately from building scipy when changing the
scipy_base code:

  cd scipy/scipy_core
  python setup.py install

  >>> import scipy_base