[SciPy-user] drawing time

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Mar 13 17:19:48 EST 2003

baecker at physik.tu-dresden.de wrote:

>Hi,
>
>there are two more issues which are nicely illustrated with
>Johannes standard_map example (at least on my machine under debian linux):
>  a) memory blow-up:
>
>     clicking successively several times
>     (ie. iterating the map with different initial conditions)
>     and following the memory consumption with top
>     (or whatever has to be used on windows)
>     shows that substial amount of memory is eaten.
>
>     ((the deeper reason for this seems to be that
>       in the end all points which have been plotted are stored
>       in memory, at least this is was my impression from the
>       source in xplt/gist))

This is a common plotting strategy (having this display list allows the
renderer to output a hard copy when required that is not a bitmap image).

It could also be that gist has memory leaks.  A possibility not
altogether unlikely.

But!  I do not get the behavior you are observing.    There is no memory
"blow-up" on my system.

>  b) Window redraw:
>
>     forcing a window redraw (eg. by moving some other window
>     over the Pygist window)
>     shows that all points plotted so far in the corresponding region
>     get re-plotted, one after another.
>     (even worse: try to move some other window around several times

Again, on my system, there are no problems here.  I do not see any
noticeable flicker.  I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I don't see any of these problems,  so I'm not sure what the issue is.

-Travis O.

>     Wouldn't it be possible to store the picture as
>     a bitmap to allow for an easier/quicker redraw ?

Maybe, but I wouldn't go in this direction for xplt (gist).