[SciPy-user] Alternative to NumTut's view() function?

Karthikesh Raju karthik at james.hut.fi
Fri Feb 14 04:05:29 EST 2003

Hi All,

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the past I've used the view() function from NumTut (Numeric's tutorial
> package) to view 2-d arrays.  But now something isn't working too well (and
> I've seen reports from others on the web about this).  Basically, there seems
> to be a threading problem, and the simple act of importing view.py kicks cpu
> usage to 100% and makes any interactive work in the python interpreter
> impossible.  I tested it both with ipython and a regular python shell.

This is exactly what happens. i have tried it on RH7.1/8.0 Systems or
Tru64Unix. The response is no better with Irix (6.5). i suspected that it
was the threading problem as mentioned above. Was not very sure abt it,
but cpu usage does kick to 100%.

> In the past I'd used it with (I think) RedHat 7.2, now I'm in RedHat
8.0, oI
> don't know if that matters or not.
>
> At any rate, I wonder if as part of scipy there is anything with similar
> functionality.  view() allows one to view 2-d arrays as images, in either
> grayscale or color.  Since I don't have high hopes for anyone fixing view(),
> and I'm switching to scipy for all my work, I'd be happy to go with a
> scipy-based alternative if one exists.

The alternatives would be could, but something as simple as view should be
great. Something like 'imagesc' as in Matlab, view i think provides that,
and was simple enough, but i guess now somehow it has some threading
problem.

Any alternatives,

Best regards

karthik