[SciPy-user] Sparse matrices?

Travis Oliphant "oliphant." at ee.byu.edu
Fri Aug 8 15:12:39 EDT 2003

Gerber G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently programming Finite Elements. Does scipy support sparse matrices?

The answer is yes, but only in an "alpha" state and there are some
licensing issues.  For this reason you have to check SciPy out from CVS
to get it. The sparse matrix support is functional but has not been
rigorously tested (I think I'm one of the only people that has ever used
it).   It is based on SPARSKIT from Yousaf Saad (which is GPL'd causing
some licensing difficulty because SciPy does not want to include GPL
software with it's redistribution restrictions) and SuperLU1.1 (I'm in
the process of upgrading to SuperLU2.0) which has a segmentation fault
problem I encountered on "larger" matrices.  There is also a weak
wrapper around UMFPACK2.2 (which needs to be upgraded to UMFPACK4.1)
that I and others have used to solve larger Finite Element problems.

If you would like to help with the development of the sparse package let
me know.

Best,

Travis Oliphant