[SciPy-user] no module fastumath - how to fix it

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 8 11:30:18 EDT 2002

Got no response from the list on this, found it in the archives (Aug 2002)

http://www.scipy.org/site_content/mailman?fn=scipy-user/2002-August/000561.html

didn't quite understand the message, but got some hints from it. I'm
sending this so that it's in the archive, and other people don't spend two
hours trying to figure this out...

After installing SciPy, you will be tempted to run python immediately, and
import scipy (in fact, the docs suggest that, in INSTALL.txt). However,
they don't mention that this may fail if you run it in the installation
directory. So, go to another directory, then start python, then 'import scipy'.

You may also want to check this message (I followed these instructions, but
am not sure whether they helped or not):

http://scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-user/2002-April/000302.html

It may or may not also help to rename the directory from ~/cvs/SciPy to
~/cvs/SciPy_CVS (assuming that you, like most CVS users I know, have a cvs
directory where you put all your projects).

And to think I just about to throw in the towel on SciPy!

-Frank

P.S. If anyone has a better understanding of why this is a problem, I think
it would be useful to put together a complete explanation (from the
comments in the various emails, it seems to be a somewhat known problem).

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons