[SciPy-user] problems building - missing cvs/SciPy/xplt/gistCmodule.c

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 4 15:58:25 EDT 2002

Hi,

I've been using Python for about 5 months now, to write data-intensive
bioinformatics code. Having had good luck with Numeric (and contributed
features, bug-fixes and a test suite to its Jython counterpart, JNumeric),
SciPy sounded like just what I need to go further.

So I've just signed up, downloaded the source, and tried to build it. (I'm
not root where I work, can't use RPMs etc.) I also got ATLAS and f2py and
they apparently installed properly. I edited site.cfg to let SciPy know
where to find ATLAS, and ran 'python setup.py install'. It runs through a
bunch of stuff, but stops short at this:

building 'scipy.xplt.gistC' extension
error: file 'cvs/SciPy/xplt/gistCmodule.c' does not exist

Anyone have any words of wisdom about how to get around this? If I were
using make I'd give it a '-k' to ignore errors and keep going, in the hopes
that I don't really need what I appear not to have. Is there something
analogous in setup.py?

Also, I may have overlooked this, but I couldn't find anything on the
website listing specifically what functionality was available in SciPy - it
lists packages, but not function names and descriptions. Please don't tell
me I have to read the docstrings in each file, or pydoc them! A PDF file
that covered the entire package would be really useful (yes, I saw the
request for help setting up unit tests and working on docs - I'd be happy
to, but first I need to get up and running).

Thanks for any help,

Frank Gibbons

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons