[SciPy-user] plt.plot and other wxPython stuff

Ken Sugino sugino at brandeis.edu
Thu Nov 21 14:00:38 EST 2002

Hi all,

Douglas Eck <doug at idsia.ch> wrote:
> plt.plot is the best all-purpose
> scientific plotting code around right now for python.

I agreee with Douglas. I've been using scipy mostly for its plt package for
a couple of months now and I feel it is the most "practical" interactive
plotting package for python. I use line plotting and image display most
frequently and there just isn't other good packages which can handle both.

But scipy/plt is still not satisfactory:
 - it doesn't handle nan/inf in an appropriate way, (like matlab or R does)
 - its image zooming is slow and memory demanding (once killed my linux box)

Those were making scipy/plt a little bit "impractical", so I did some
modifications, which I attached to this email. I hope someone maintaining
plt package will look at them and either incorporate or reimplement them.

Ken

P.S. Is there anyone planning to implement multiple plots in a window for
plt package? "subplot" in matlab is good enough for me, but R's layout function
is really flexible and seems to be a good model to imitate.