[SciPy-user] SciPy from its CVS repository

eric eric at enthought.com
Tue May 21 16:37:16 EDT 2002

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, eric wrote:
>
> > The only alteration you might need is to remove the -z7 option on the
checkout.

> >     cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at scipy.org:/home/cvsroot checkout scipy
> >
> > I just tried them from a remote machine, and it worked fine.
>
> Without -z? works also here.
>
> > We are using a newer version of CVS (11.x I think) on the new server, and it
> > seems to have some hiccups with the compression option.  Someone had
reported
> > that it hangs on "xicky.h" before.  That is actually the last file received
> > during a checkout, so the entire repository is getting downloaded, even when
the
> > process seems to hang.  It looks to me like the cvs server is just not
closing
> > the socket or something like that when the compression flag is used.
> >
> > Are others still having troubles with the CVS?  We've considered downgrading
> > the previous CVS version since it seemed to work fine in all cases.
>
> CVS 11.x is not that new, I think. In our server we are using 1.11.1p1
> without any problems. I don't remember anymore what was the version of CVS
> earlier in scipy.org but I do remember that it had also problems so that
> time to time you needed to restart it...

There were problems at one point, but the version we used for the last several
months worked fine.  We're using 11.2 currently.  Checking the page, it was
released last month on 4/17/2002.  Perhaps we should back off to 11.1p1 if your
having good luck with it.  On the face of it, the hang does seem to be CVS
related problem with the compression flag and not some system configuration
problem.

eric