[SciPy-user] another optimization oddity

Steve M. Robbins steven.robbins at videotron.ca
Fri Apr 5 10:10:29 EST 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:55:24PM +0200, Henk Jansen wrote:
> As the owner of this prpblem I did some homework. I guess I've found a
> bug in "scipy.minpack.leastsq.py" :

Speaking of odd things in scipy.optimize ...

I have a problem that is too large for the typical O(N^2) methods, so I
implemented steepest descent and nonlinear conjugate gradient methods.

I wanted to use the function line_search() in optimize.py, but I am
mystified by its use of the zoom() function:

	def zoom(a_lo, a_hi):
	    pass

That looks like an uncompleted stub function to me.  Correct?

[I don't have Wright & Nocedal on hand to check the details of their
line search.]

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,