[SciPy-Dev] Proposed 1.7.0 Release Schedule

Andrew Nelson andyfaff at gmail.com
Sun May 16 21:01:55 EDT 2021

On Sun, 16 May 2021 at 22:14, Pamphile Roy <roy.pamphile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding Optimize. It seems that lots of PRs and issues are pointing
> towards an overhaul of the module. My position would be to solve what can
> be solved for the release with open PRs and for the next release we should
> lay out a plan to evolve the module.

It'd certainly be good for the number of active optimize maintainers to
increase, to tackle PRs and issues, etc.

optimize is probably one of the most heavily used parts of scipy, that's
why it gets a lot of traffic on github. I think the module is probably in
not too bad a good shape. A review of outstanding issues would give an idea
of what types of issues are commonly experienced, it's not clear that a
large scale redesign would necessarily change anything.

One thing I'm mainly interested in minimisations of scalar functions. I had
a desire to implement a class-based minimization system for those, but I'm
fairly convinced it would have to be developed outside scipy in a spin-off
project first.