[SciPy-Dev] GSoC'21 participation SciPy

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 18:01:27 EST 2021

Hi all,

It's GSoC time soon! I'd like to participate again under the PSF umbrella
this year. The GSoC project durations have been halved, which means they're
also more manageable to mentor. They're 175 hours now. For more details,
see https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/.

Also worth mentioning is that NumPy decided not to participate, but a few
people on the NumPy team are interested in helping mentor on a SciPy
project. We've also been discussing an initiative around mentoring of
people new to open source from under-represented backgrounds with the NumPy
team, and came to the conclusion that it'd be better to use SciPy project
ideas and help mentor them. So if you have ideas that don't exactly fit the
size or timeline for GSoC, please still propose them since they may be
suitable for that initiative.

We have a few more weeks till the deadline to sign up, so it'd be great to
get some ideas and potential mentors onto this ideas page:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-2021-project-ideas.

Any thoughts, good project ideas, or volunteers to mentor?

Cheers,
Ralf