[SciPy-Dev] Some remarks on least-squares algorithms

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 11:24:24 EDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 5:30 AM Benoit Rosa <b.rosa at unistra.fr> wrote:

> The second remark is that, when looking at MATLAB's implementation, I
> found this:

First, thank you for your comments.

Second, I know it seems innocuous, but please do not post snippets of
MATLAB's source code here. They are under copyright and presumably MATLAB's
proprietary license. We can't refer to that code when writing our own
implementation, even if we are just reading this email with the snippet. We
can refer to open source code under a liberal license like SciPy's, and we
can refer to papers or even MATLAB's documentation that describe the
algorithm but not in code. Having the snippet posted here puts us in an
awkward position with respect to actually following up on your request.

Thank you for your consideration.

--
Robert Kern