[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Contribution: Gammatone Filters in scipy.signal

Shashaank Narayanan shashaank.n at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 30 17:38:59 EST 2020

Hello SciPy Team,

I am new to this mailing list, and I am interested in contributing to
SciPy. I would like to suggest a new feature to be added to the
scipy.signal module: gammatone filters. Gammatone filters are becoming
increasingly popular in the fields of digital signal processing and music
analysis as it effectively models the auditory filters of the human
auditory system. Currently, there are very few implementations of gammatone
filters available for Python, and these implementations are not generalized
to basic finite impulse response (FIR) and infinite impulse response (IIR)
filters like SciPy has.

I have written my own gammatone FIR filter using NumPy based on Malcolm
Slaney's 1993 paper on the topic (
https://engineering.purdue.edu/~malcolm/apple/tr35/PattersonsEar.pdf). This
paper was used for Matlab's implementation of gammatone filters. I am in
the process of writing a gammatone IIR filter with NumPy and SciPy. Please
let me know if this feature will fit with the scipy.signal module.
Appreciate your time and guidance.

Thanks,
Shashaank