[SciPy-Dev] Newbie question: submitting PRs, review

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 21:00:01 EST 2020

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM Tom Roderick <thomas.roderick at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> This is my first time mailing the list, so forgive me if I come across
> naive -- it is because I am!

Hi Tom, welcome!

> I noticed that the metric in scipy.spatial.distance.sokalmichener is the
> wrong metric, as per many sources (e.g.
> https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.352.6123&rep=rep1&type=pdf)
> -- the rogerstanimoto dissimilarity is in its place. I'd like to correct
> it, but am not 100% sure I understand the process.

In this case there's some previous discussion on this topic. This is the
relevant bug report: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2011. And this
identifies more issues and talks about how we should handle them:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/3163#issuecomment-34224341.

> So, wanted to reach out to the mailing list and hopefully get some
> mentoring. Is the Scipy process as simple as: fix code, add unit test,
> submit Github PR?

It can be, but API changes or backwards incompatible changes usually are
more involved (discussion wise mainly). I think you can submit the minimal
required fix here though, and add some more references you found to issue
2011. Regarding process there's some more guidance in the contributor
guide, http://scipy.github.io/devdocs/dev/contributor/contributor_toc.html,
in particular the "development workflow" section.

Cheeers,
Ralf