[SciPy-Dev] Building SciPy from source for development

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 17:57:11 EDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 10:14 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Isabel,
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM Isabel Kaspriskie <ikaspriskie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am setting up my development environment in order to start contributing
>> to the scipy repo. I have run into an error that I have not been able to
>> diagnose myself. When running `python setup.py install --user`, I find the
>> following error. The output is large, so I have only copied the end of it,
>> but please let me know if it is acceptable to attach a text file of the
>> output if that helps.
>>

> What you can do is put the full build log in a gist (
> https://gist.github.com/) and link to it. The actual error isn't visible,
> it could be many things (and I doubt it's that f2py warning). A full build
> log usually lets someone spot the issue quickly.

Somehow Kai's answer bounced from the list, it may help too so here it is:

An exit code of 127 occurs when a required command is not found in your
$PATH. In this case you are trying to compile SciPy using g++.

I suspect this occurs because g++ is either not installed in which case you
will need to install it (in Ubuntu you can install these using ``apt
install g++``, this may require sudo). If it is already installed it may be
that miniconda does not find g++ as expected.

Cheers,
Ralf