[SciPy-Dev] Recently discovered bug in lots of code mixing C and Fortran

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Jun 20 23:31:48 EDT 2019

Apparently there is a common situation where C code calling into
Fortran violates the Fortran ABI, and has been accidentally getting
away with it for years, but in the near future it will start causing
mysterious crashes:

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/791393/d04954027a732415/
https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2019/05/15/gfortran-issues-with-lapack/

Both CBLAS and LAPACKE are specifically called out as including broken
code, so I guess this is pretty widespread. I don't know if it affects
scipy directly, but I'm guessing at least some people reading this
list have some code that's affected, so... heads-up.

-n