[SciPy-Dev] curve_fit() should require initial values for parameters

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:54:06 EST 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 15:35:14 -0500, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> Any systematic method, like "try again if convergence failed" can be
> described.
> The actual search path, which methods have been tried, can be included in
> some `fit_history` in the `full_output`.

I could go along with that, if the user then has a clear path towards
restarting the procedure using only the latest method + initial
parameter.  And then, as you say, the function could be marketed as more
of a black box solution.  I don't usually recommend that people use
black boxes, but I guess I can be convinced that they have a place in
certain use cases.

Best regards,
Stéfan