[SciPy-Dev] Discussion on backend system for scipy.fftpack

Sourav Singh ssouravsingh12 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 10:03:49 EST 2019

Hello,

I am writing the mail to start a discussion on the backend system for
scipy.fftpack.

I am currently looking into ways of implementing a backend system and have
found that the Keras library's method for backend to be elegant.

The Keras library maintains separate modules for each backend, which has
their own classes and functions for operations and session creation. The
default backend can be set up through a configuration or a flag of some
kind.

So far we have numpy.fft, scipy.fftpack, pyFFTW and cupy(I am not sure
about having this) for FFT ops.

I would like to discuss further about the decisions on the kind of backend
system that would be required so I can design a document containing class
diagrams and such.

Thanks for taking the time to read my email and have a great day!

Regards,

Sourav