[SciPy-Dev] GSOC 2018 [Starting advice, not proposal]

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 00:41:18 EST 2018

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Aditya Bharti <adibhar97 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Goal of this email: To ask for general advice on starting contributions to
> scipy for GSOC 2018

Hi Aditya, welcome!

> To summarise: I am interested in a project which aligns well with my
> research and open source experience, but I'm having a little trouble
> finding issues to start working on.
>

> I am an undergraduate researcher in Computer Vision, interested in
> contributing to scipy. I was specifically looking forward to the second
> project on the github project ideas page
> <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-2018-project-ideas#rotation-formalism-in-3-dimensions>:
> Rotation Formalism in 3 dimensions.
>
> I think I would be a good fit for the project because I have experience
> with contributing to open source in general, and specifically to C++ and
> python codebases [1] <https://mzl.la/2oV3PtL>. Due to my academic
> background, I am already comfortable with 3D rotations being represented as
> matrices, Euler angles and vectors as these are used extensively in
> Computer Vision. Being a researcher, I will have no problem understanding
> academic literature on the subject to extend that knowledge.
>
> The initial setup completed, in order to get started with contributions to
> scipy, I have asked around on multiple issues on the main scipy repo with
> the 'good first issue' tags, however, after discussion it was realised that
> those bugs either require a very deep understanding of the codebase [2
> <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/8385#issuecomment-366196873>]
> <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/8385#issuecomment-366196873> , or
> need to be fixed by the external library author and require no work on
> scipy's side [3]
> <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/4819#issuecomment-366814744>.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me advice getting started
> with scipy or just generally making a strong application to scipy.

This email is a good start, clear introduction of yourself and questions.
To get started, I'm thinking scipy.ndimage may be a good module to look at
issues for. Both because it should be relatively familiar given your
background, and because at the moment it's one of the more actively
developed modules. A good first issue could be
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/7453, adding new keywords to make the
API more consistent. https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/7334 is a quite
straightforward one, maybe even better to start with that.

Cheers,
Ralf