[SciPy-Dev] Numba as a dependency for SciPy?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 03:00:57 EST 2018

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Stanley Seibert <sseibert at anaconda.com>
wrote:

> (Hi, as someone from the Numba project, my apologies for wading into this
> discussion late.)

No apologies needed, the inside perspective is very welcome!

> Last time we checked, Numba on ARM was pretty close to working already.
> We have an open PR for ARMv7 that we just ran out of time to finish QA'ing (
> https://github.com/numba/numba/pull/1968) a while ago, and never have
> gotten back to because there was not much demand at the time.  It sounds
> like this is tripping up more people now, so we can take a look again.
>
> One thing that really is unpleasant on ARM is compiling LLVM, so we would
> probably want to make sure we had conda packages and wheels available for
> llvmlite on ARM.  Is there any precedent for posting Linux ARMv7 wheels to
> PyPI?  (For conda, we would just make sure they appear in Jonathan's
> berryconda channel.)
>
> A more difficult platform is POWER8, where we tried to do a port and got
> stuck last year.  Recently, someone has figured out what the issues were,
> and it sounds like several of them stemmed from LLVM bugs in the POWER8
> backend that may or may not be fixed in the next release.  IBM is
> interested in improving the situation, so hopefully that will be sorted out
> soon.

Hmm, that does sound like portability is still a significant issue today.
We do sometimes break things for users on POWER8, ARM and similar platforms
because of our lack of CI there, but we do try to keep things working and
accept patches for those platforms.

Ralf