[SciPy-Dev] What we do struggle with is lack of progress on big-ticket items

Matt Haberland haberland at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:49:48 EST 2018

Funny, I was just writing about this to suggest videos, too.

I looked on YouTube but didn't find anything useful when searching for
numpy/scipy development environment/workflow.

Besides the day-to-day workflow, I also had a hard time getting my
development environment set up initially. A video on that would be really
helpful, too.

I'd be happy to make some videos with a screen recording and voice-over. I
want to start from scratch on Mac, as my environment seems to have broken
over the past few months, and I'd like to try again on Windows, which I
never got working. If someone with real experience on one or both of those
platforms has some time to answer questions that inevitably arise, I'd be
willing to work on this immediately.

Matt

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM, Stefan van der Walt <
> stefanv at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 04:57:01 -0500, Robert Lucente - Pipeline.Com wrote:
>> > I am a newbie and have just been lurking.
>>
>> Thank you for raising your thoughts here; it's so helpful to hear
>> perspectives from outside the established developer community.
>>
>> > Perhaps we could put some bounds around unacceptable, good enough and
>> > perfection? I realize that it is hard to put words to this. Perhaps an
>> > example to kick off a conversation?
>>
>> It's a tricky balance.  My feeling is that a person should lower the
>> barrier to contribution as much as possible: avoid unnecessary technical
>> challenges like git rebasing, push to PRs to guide new contributors, and
>> provide good documentation.
>>
>> That said, I think it's better to educate than to adjust standards.
>> Experience has taught that introducing code of insufficient quality into
>> the code base inevitably leads to headaches later on (we all have a lot
>> of hypothetical time to fix things up in the future, right?).
>>
>> > Perhaps people could volunteer to just help someone w/ the SciPy
>> > workflow?
>>
>> This is an excellent suggestion, and one we've also been considering for
>> scikit-image.  The idea of having existing developers acting as mentors
>> is often what happens informally, but it may be helpful to establish
>> more obvious ways for that to take place.  Do you have any thoughts on
>> how this could look?
>>

> I know there have been several presentations on the workflow, Jamie Frio
> did a couple. It might useful to see if anyone has made video's of a
> tutorial like that so we could put it up on youtube or some other place.
> Maybe NumFocus could have a youtube channel with such resources.
>
> Chuck

Matt Haberland
Assistant Adjunct Professor in the Program in Computing
Department of Mathematics
6617A Math Sciences Building, UCLA