[SciPy-Dev] What we do struggle with is lack of progress on big-ticket items

Andrew Nelson andyfaff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:15:21 EST 2018

On 23 January 2018 at 10:25, Robert Lucente <rlucente at pipeline.com> wrote:

> >What we do struggle with is lack of progress on big-ticket items
>
> Could we get some of these "big-ticket" items to be graduate student
> projects as part of an independent study or ...?

The difficult in progressing big ticket items looms large, the difficulty
here cannot be underestimated. Big ticket items require several iterations
which tests the patience of the proposer and reviewer, it's a large amount
of effort on both ends. It requires the reviewer is familiar with the
subject material (not a given), and that the proposer is familiar with the
scipy workflow. Giving it to a grad student isn't necessarily going to
solve either of those issues.

I know on my part that I've been reluctant to review some PR's because I
don't feel I have enough knowledge, and worry I would commit something that
isn't good enough. But if there's no one else to do it, then what should
happen?