[SciPy-Dev] Project Details for GSoC 2018

Joshua Wilson josh.craig.wilson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 12:57:33 EST 2018

A couple of comments: as Ralf mentioned on a recent thread, adding new
top-level modules to SciPy is pretty much out of the question, so you
probably want to focus on enhancing existing modules. Some of the
operations you propose (checking continuity, checking analyticity) are
not particularly useful for scientific computing (the nature of
floating point means they won't be very reliable); they might be more
appropriate for a symbolic library. Now, computing high-order
derivatives of analytic functions is an interesting topic because it
can be done to high precision using Cauchy's integral formula.
Something like this might fit in `scipy.integrate`. The thing I'm not
sure of is whether this is enough material for a GSoC; determining
this would require looking through the relevant literature.