[SciPy-Dev] the demise of SciPy Central

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 03:38:20 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 6:42 AM, Stefan van der Walt <stefanv at berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Ralf
>
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017, at 03:29, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>
> SciPy Central has been down for weeks, and barely anyone has noticed (2
> bug reports). Almost no new content has been created the last year, and the
> use cases it tried to address are now covered pretty well by StackOverflow
> and Github/gists. A bit more discussion with Surya and Pauli, who have done
> most of the maintenance for the site the last couple of years, happened on
> https://github.com/scipy/SciPyCentral/issues/207.
>
> In https://github.com/scipy/scipy.org/pull/226 I've removed links to it
> from scipy.org. I propose we go ahead and merge that, and shut down the
> site completely.
>

> There are some very useful scripts on there.  Do we have a plan for
> rescuing the content?  StackOverflow seems less discoverable, as does
> GitHub gists.

No plan yet. If I'd have to take a stab at it, I'd suggest:

1. Put the content (https://github.com/scipy/SciPyCentral#backup-and-restore)
somewhere accessible
2. Take the last version of each script/notebook, discard the history.
3. Write some code to transform all of those into notebooks suitable for
inclusion in https://github.com/scipy/scipy-cookbook
4. Go through by hand, see what's in good shape, and send PRs to
https://github.com/scipy/scipy-cookbook for those.

That may be quite a bit of work though. At least (1) should be done before
decommissioning the server.

Ralf