[SciPy-Dev] establishing a Code of Conduct for SciPy

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 05:14:31 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:06 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> la, 2017-09-09 kello 15:24 +1200, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
>> > I agree. That new version addresses my concern about the harsh tone
>> > of
>> > version 1.2.
>> >
>> > Overall there seems to be a preference for the Contributor Covenant
>> > or at
>> > least something of that level of conciseness, rather than the
>> > Jupyter/Django style CoC. So let's go in that direction.
>>
>> The text of the current version of the Contributor Covenant seems easy
>> to understand and fairly reasonable to me. The scope where it applies
>> is clearly defined, and essentially codifies not accepting wildly
>> unprofessional behavior on scipy issue trackers etc. It is also adopted
>> by a number of other projects, so I think it is a better starting
>> point.
>

> Agreed. There's also the Apache one
> (https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct.html, thanks to Stefan
> for the suggestion), which is also clear and concise, and has a much
> friendlier tone than the Contributor Covenant.

I greatly dislike the Contributor Covenant - I find it to be a
unpleasant, intimidating document.  Just for example, if you run it
through https://readable.io/text/, it gets an E for Readability (on an
A-E scale), Moderately Formal, and a 100% score for Male on a Male /
Female detection algorithm.

I am not sure I really like the Apache code of conduct, but I think
it's much better - more positive, direct and friendly in tone. I could
certainly live with it.  Just for comparison, C for readability,
Slightly Formal, about 78% Male.

Cheers,

Matthew