[SciPy-Dev] establishing a Code of Conduct for SciPy

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:26:39 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Ilhan Polat <ilhanpolat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah come on. What is this condescending nonsense "A score of around 10-12 is
> roughly the reading level on completion of high school. Text to be read by
> the general public should aim for a grade level of around 8."?

I am sorry, I didn't mean it to be condescending.  I just mean that
most people feel that text they write is clearer than text other
people write, on average, for the obvious reason that we tend to
understand the things that we say better than things other people say.
  So I wasn't claiming that the metrics made my text better than your
text, only that it's difficult to be objective about what is clear -
or - as you said - what reads like "terms and conditions".

As for the grade level - have a look at the comments that
readability.io gives - it's good advice about avoiding long words and
long sentences if possible (it usually is) and the passive tense.
Text with a low grade level, when well written, does not seem
patronizing, but is easy to read and say - conveying the same meaning
with less effort to the reader.

Best,

Matthew