[SciPy-Dev] Old release still on SourceForge

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:16:25 EST 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Joshua Wilson <josh.craig.wilson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> It seems that SciPy 0.16 is still up on SourceForge:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/
>
> According to the site, people are still downloading it, which seems
> bad given that it's a fairly old version at this point. I doubt that
> we want to put releases on SourceForge, so is there a way to take it
> down, or at least indicate that it's an old release?

Removing the whole project can only be done via a request, not the UI. SF
staff then determine whether to honor the request or not; in the past
they've been very bad at listening to projects (e.g.
https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/42490/can-you-delete-a-project-on-sourceforge).

There may still be some users out there who need the .exe installers for
some reason (but not 782 in the last week...). So indicating the version is
old by adding a file THIS_IS_AN_OLD_RELEASE_GO_TO_PYPI_OR_CONDAFORGE.txt
may be the way to go.

Ralf