[SciPy-Dev] SciPy governance model

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 23:47:50 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:38 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> the

> >> * I agree with boring technology, but I doubt you're really arguing
> >> that choosing a leader at regular intervals is novel in open source or
> >> elsewhere.
> >
> > I'm arguing exactly that. (In open source, obviously; scipy is not a
> > nation-state.)
>
> or an arm of local government or a school or a ...
>
> >> Debian is an obvious example [1];
> >
> > But the Debian Project Leader is *nothing at all* like a BDFL. In fact
> > their powers are extraordinarily limited; mostly it's just "convince
> > people to do stuff by talking to them" (i.e. "exercising leadership")
> > and "serve as a project figurehead". Which is what your links says!
> > They explicitly *cannot* make decisions about the technical direction
> > of the project; in the Debian system that power is delegated in a
> > complicated way to individual maintainers, mailing list consensus, the
> > CTTE, and GRs.
>
> Look - please - calm down.   We can have serious calm discussion about
> this.  Sure, Debian uses it's leader in a different way, as could we,
> I don't think we have to bring out the shotguns here.
>
> > If I seem frustrated in discussing these topics with you, then this is
> > why :-(. As is probably obvious to everyone, I actually love geeking
> > out about this kind of thing! But when you make such misleading and
> > hand-wavy arguments it feels lazy, like you're more interested in
> > vague in-principle discussions than in actually trying to put together
> > a real system that can be implemented and help the project move on and
> > accomplish its real goals.
>
> So - this is really very frustrating.  I just proposed writing up a
> document, and comparing to the current one, in a short and reasonable
> period.   I told you that Stefan, who's credentials as a project
> leader can't reasonably be challenged, is also thinking hard about
> this.  It's terribly tiring to have to justify my good faith every
> time we have this discussion.
>
>  I know that's not your intention and I'm
> > sorry if that sounds harsh. But at this point I'm having trouble
> > seeing how your comments are helping move things forward in any kind
> > of practical way.
>
> I don't know about harsh, but it certainly sounds impatient and
> patronizing.
>
> Incidentally, I had hoped you'd provide a couple of examples of BDFL
> projects where the BDFL was not the founder / major author.  Maybe the
> discussion could get better if we covered stuff like that.

The example is scipy. Pauli has been the implied BDFL for years with Ralf
as "Assistant BDFL". Didn't matplotlib and pandas not also have transition
to new de-facto BDFLs?

I once mentioned in a related mailing list discussion that we should just
codify the status quo which has worked and is working pretty well.

Two of the longest scipy github discussions I have been involved with
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/448   compromise implemented
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/3129   rejected, full solution about
2 years later

(In scipy stats I'm glad to leave all controversial decisions to Evgeni and
Ralf, outside those related to statistical theory.)

> >> * I don't know if an 'election' is the right method of choosing
> >> someone, that's really up for debate.  Obviously an election is a very
> >> standard way of doing that;
> >> * I don't personally know of a BDFL system working well in the absence
> >> of the criteria I put above, but it would certainly be useful to have
> >> a look at a few examples.  Can you suggest a few to consider?

> >> I think your idea here is the BDFL is low risk and choosing a leader
> >> is high risk, but it seems to me that both have risks, and that the
> >> best way of assessing the relative risks is to consider and refine a
> >> couple of concrete proposals, with discussion of prior experience,
> >> where applicable.
> >>
> >> For the appetite thing, you are probably referring to the nervous
> >> atmosphere that surrounds any discussion of governance, which is
> >> presumably due to the strong reactions against any such discussion in
> >> the past.   I'm sure you'd agree that that 'get it over with as
> >> quickly as possible' is not the best way to come to a good solution.
> >> Having said that, if Ralf and / or Pauli do not have much interest in
> >> this topic, discussion will quickly become futile and
> >> counterproductive, and we will have to stop quickly to avoid making a
> >> mess.
> >
> > I'm more referring about the part where scipy *has* a governance
> > document now that seems perfectly workable. It's not identical to the
> > one I would have written, but so what, there are lots of workable
> > models and this looks like one of them. I'm not seeing folks jumping
> > in eager to redo that process for unclear benefits.
>
> I had hoped to cover that in my previous email.   In practice, if Ralf
> and Pauli do not want to discuss this, this discussion is pointless,
> and we should stop this right now.   However, contrary to your
> apparent assumption, I did not start this discussion to annoy, confuse
> or impress, I started it in the hope of finding the best possible
> model for Scipy governance,

You are waiting for a pronouncement from our BDFLs?

Josef