[SciPy-Dev] Moving SciPy project organization forward

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:45:06 EDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 7:21 AM, Evgeni Burovski <evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Mailing list
> > ------------
> > This is not so we do more in private, but just to be more efficient in
> the
> > small number of conversations that already happens in private (like
> giving
> > out commit rights).  The core team has grown large enough that we tend to
> > forget people or use an old email address.  I will set this one up
> within a
> > week, probably using Google Groups (if anyone has a better idea, please
> > speak up).  My plan is to add all active core devs, and send other people
> > with commit rights a personal email about this to ask if they want to be
> on
> > it (because not everyone follows this list).
>
> +1
>
> A fun note in passing: discussing the commit rights on such a list
> would actually make things more open, since a new dev would get access
> to past discussions including the one about giving them commit rights
> :-).
> (And no, I'm not suggesting this is a problem.)

Agreed, that's a good thing. It gives new devs a picture of how decisions
were made in the past.

> Maybe we should also consider setting up some communication channels
> with higher bandwidth --- handouts or conference calls. Yes, time
> zones is a problem. And yes, the conference call last year went into
> more tangents than it could have. But maybe if we manage to make these
> conference calls somewhat more regular, we'd be able to have more
> manageable agendas for each of them.

Yes, that could work. If we have a clear agenda and don't have to discuss
changing the world each time, it may be productive. What were you thinking,
like once every 6-8 weeks or so?

> I wonder how it worked back in times of the numpy doc marathon, were
> there regular conf calls, did they work?

There were, IIRC once a month. Those were reasonably productive I think,
but that was a small group (4-5 people) and a single topic. So hard to
compare.

Cheers,
Ralf