[SciPy-Dev] ENH: addition of Rankine conversions in constants #5292

Gilles Aouizerate gilles.aouizerate at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 11:21:29 EST 2016

Hello Scipy developers,

I recently committed a little enhancement of the scipy.constants module
that dealt with temperature conversions between the Rankine scale and other
scales (see #5292). It seems to me that this capability would be useful
since many scientists and engineers (sadly) keep using the Rankine
temperature scale, especially in thermodynamics.

Rgommers answered that this was not a bad idea in principle, but that it
would make the code kind of too heavy: too many temperature conversion
functions in the module. Therefore he suggested adding a single function of
the kind convert_temperature(value, old_scale, new_scale) rather than the
several current functions.

What do you think about that? If there is a consensus I could take care of
that.

cheers,

Gilles