[SciPy-Dev] Limit number of iterations in sigma clipping

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 05:35:19 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Sri Krishna <kitchi.srikrishna at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The current sigma clipping function has no iters keyword.

For clarity: this is stats.sigmaclip

> I feel it would be useful to include it in the function, with a default
> like `iters=None` so that if people do want to use the keyword they will be
> able to do so.
>
> With the defaults of `iters = None` it shouldn't break anyone's workflow
> and will correspond to the current default behaviour.
>
> If there is any interest in this, I can file a pull request soon.

Makes sense to me to add this.

I just saw that AstroPy has a much more extensive sigma clipping function.
Replacing stats.sigmaclip with
http://docs.astropy.org/en/latest/api/astropy.stats.sigma_clip.html would
be the way to go I think. In a backwards-compatible fashion of course, so
the `sigma` keyword from that function should be left out.

Ralf