[SciPy-Dev] Fwd: Increasing the maximum number of points in the spatial.Delaunay triangulation

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Mon Jun 22 14:54:57 EDT 2015

22.06.2015, 19:48, Cantwell Carson kirjoitti:
[clip]
> This compiles fine, but so far, this produces a memory leak (as far as I
> can tell) when I put more than 2**24 points into the algorithm. I have
> emailed Brad Barber, who indicated that this changing the ridgeid field was
> possible. I am also working on a divide and conquer approach, but am having
> trouble deleting the old Delaunay object before instantiating the next one.
> I can send that code along if there is no good way to increase the number
> of points in the algorithm.
>
> I think it would be useful to have an algorithm that can accept more
> points, given the increased speed and processing power of modern computers.
> Thanks for your help.

I can't immediately help you with the Qhull internals, but other comment:

Your best bet with that would probably be to try to get your patch
included in Qhull itself. The Qhull code is shipped with Scipy only for
convenience, and is unmodified from the 2012.1 version --- shipping a
patched version might not be a very good thing if the Qhull upstream is
still responsive.

Of course, Qhull is not the only game in town, at least for
low-dimensional triangulations, and it could be interesting to have more
featureful alternatives for those cases.